Sunday, 15 March 2020

Vivid Sydney bites the dust

As several cruise lines - including Royal Caribbean and Viking - said they were suspending operations globally, the New South Wales state government announced this morning that the Vivid Sydney 2020 festival has been cancelled.


The decision followed recommendations by the Federal Government and health authorities to limit non-essential organised gatherings to fewer than 500 people to control the spread of the coronavirus (Covid-19). 

Destination NSW said that while the cancellation of the event was disappointing and another major setback for the tourism industry, it was the right thing to do to control the spread of infection and keep people safe.

“Vivid Sydney is a bright star of Sydney’s event calendar so the decision to cancel was not taken lightly," Destination NSW said. "As the event owner, we must follow the advice of health officials to ensure the health and safety of our citizens and everyone involved with Vivid Sydney. 

“We have taken the decision early in consideration of those planning to travel to Sydney for the festival, our commercial partners, artists, and volunteers so as to minimise the disruption and impact on them.

“We are currently working through the full implications of the cancellation and will provide further information and advice as soon as it’s available.

“It’s been an incredibly tough time for the tourism industry and this is yet another body blow, but NSW will bounce back and Vivid Sydney will shine brighter than ever in 2021.”

Vivid Sydney, the largest festival of light, music and ideas in the Southern Hemisphere, was scheduled to run from May 22-June 13. 

The event debuted in 2009 was attended by 2.4 million people last year. 

No comments:

Post a comment