ALL ACCOR

ALL ACCOR
Book, stay, enjoy. That's ALL.com

Thursday, 21 May 2026

Hiroshima: From devastation to modern metropolis



Hiroshima may be a Japanese city with a tragic history, but it is also a vibrant modern destination. 

Mercure has unveiled the newest addition to its growing hotel portfolio in Japan with the opening of  Mercure Tokyu Stay Hiroshima in the city known for being bombed by the US with nuclear weapons. 

Located in the vibrant Hatchobori district, the 182-key hotel represents Accor's first property in Hiroshima, the second dual-branded collaboration with Tokyu Stay, and the 20th Mercure hotel in the country.

It is within a two-minute walk from Hiroshima Electric Railway's Hatchobori Station and offers easy access to Hiroshima's shopping, dining and cultural attractions. 

Inspired by Hiroshima's identity as a “city of water,” the hotel's design concept, “Beauty of Water and Light,” reflects the city's rivers, waterways and cityscape. 

Facilities include Share Lounge, a co-working space and lifestyle lounge that is open to both hotel guests and local residents. 

Hotel guests can enjoy craft bread created in partnership with long-established local bakery Aloft, as well as coffee by Hiroshima-based roastery, Mount Coffee.

Garth Simmons, divisional COO for Accor in Asia, said: “We are delighted to celebrate the opening of Mercure Tokyu Stay Hiroshima, an exciting collaboration that brings together the strengths of Tokyu Stay and Mercure to create a distinctive hospitality experience in Hiroshima. 

"As Accor's first hotel in the city and the 20th Mercure hotel in Japan, this opening marks an important milestone for our growing presence in the country. Hiroshima continues to attract increasing interest from international travellers, and we believe this hotel is ideally positioned to connect guests with the culture, creativity and warmth of the destination. 

"The double-brand concept also remains relatively unique in Japan and within Accor's global network, making this partnership with Tokyu Stay a meaningful example of how two brands can come together through a shared commitment to locally rooted hospitality.”



Canadians proving keen on Australian wine

Canada should be a major market for Australian wine producers, particularly given the ongoing boycott of goods from the US. 

But when I visited late last year I was surprised how few quality Australian wine were available on LCBO shelves in Ontario.  

Now Australian winemakers are seeing renewed momentum in Canada, with new export and sales data along with feedback from importers pointing to a surge in demand for premium, regionally distinctive wines. 

That's the precise market I noted back then: https://www.gourmetontheroad.com/2025/11/plunging-us-wine-sales-to-canada-create.html

In the 12 months to March 2026, Australian wine exports to Canada rose 24% in value to $188 million and 15% in volume to 69 million litres, Wine Australia reports. 

The number of Australian exporters active in the market to 220 businesses.

Small steps from a low base, but important nonetheless. 

While 2025 restrictions on US wine imports reduced the availability of American products across Canadian liquor boards, producers say the strong performance of Australian wine over this period reflects groundwork laid over several years. 

Sustained engagement with buyers, retailers and sommeliers has strengthened understanding of Australia’s quality, diversity and regional strengths, positioning Australian wine to expand as shelf space became available, Wine Australia says.

Matt Fowles of Fowles Wine said the premium category’s momentum reflected renewed consumer interest in Australian wines with a strong sense of place.

“Our focus in firmly on fine wine, and it’s clear customers value having these wines back on shelves,” Fowles said. “When the regional story and provenance are understood, the category lifts quickly.”

Over the past two years, buyers from major provincial liquor boards including Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia have visited Australian regions through in-bound programs, while ongoing in-market activity including tastings, masterclasses and trade education has strengthened understanding of modern Australian wine.

Collectively, these visits have contributed to 177 new liquor board listings, expanded training for retail and on-premise staff and strengthened advocacy among sommeliers.

Vancouver-based importer Peter Marshall of Sur Lie said first-hand experience has played a critical role in shifting buyer confidence.

“Buyers who have travelled to Australia approach the category with far greater confidence,” Marshall said. “That first-hand experience reshapes their perceptions and opens the door to more distinctive and adventurous Australian wines.”

Libby Nutt, general manager marketing and export sales at Casella Family Brands, said engagement with buyers had strengthened relationships and delivered consistent commercial outcomes.

“Our relationships with the liquor boards have always been strong, but they’ve deepened significantly as more buyers travel to Australia,” Nutt said.

“These visits have driven real alignment, and we’ve secured new listings every time we reconnect. Each engagement is opening new doors and strengthening our presence in the market.”

At a recent trade event in Vancouver as part of Wine Australia’s North America Roadshow (top image), almost 100 key trade, buyers, media and sommeliers attended. 


Qatar Airways reports big profit despite headwinds



Qatar Airways Group has announced a post-tax profit of US $1.94 billion for financial year 2025-26.

The Middle East carrier says the results "demonstrate a robust performance against a final month impacted by significant geopolitical events" despite a 7% drop in profits.

The Virgin Australia partner said it "continued to develop, innovate and provide world-class services and experiences to passengers and businesses".

The airline carried more than 41.8 million passengers, maintaining extensive global connectivity through Hamad International Airport. while the airline's cargo division advanced its position as the world’s largest air freight carrier with a 12% global market share.

Qatar Airways also maintained industry‑leading punctuality, achieving an 86% on‑time performance, placing it among the top five most punctual carriers worldwide.

"It is not often that a single financial year asks an organisation to demonstrate both the best of what it can achieve and the depth of what it can withstand," said Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive Officer Hamad Al-Khater.

"The 2025-26 financial year [ending March 31] did both, and the Qatar Airways Group rose to each in turn.

"These results speak to the strength of this Group across every measure that matters - a strong balance sheet, industry-leading operations, partnerships of real depth, and people who maintained the standards this group is known for, even under the most demanding conditions.

"Behind every result are 57,800 people, working across more than 90 countries. In the final weeks of the financial year, many of them were managing an active crisis with a standard of professionalism that defines this organisation as much as any financial metric, and it deserves to be recognised.

"We are actively rebuilding our global network with the confidence that comes from a balance sheet that has never been stronger, partnerships that proved their depth when we needed them most, and an organisation that has demonstrated, under genuine pressure, exactly what it is capable of.”

Wednesday, 20 May 2026

Rouge Homme Wines back in the Redman family

Iconic Coonawarra wine brand Rouge Homme is back in its traditional home with original owners the Redman family. 

Global wine producer Treasury Wine Estates today announced the sale of the brand. 

First bottled in 1952, the label grew an Australian and international following for its distinctive wines, including its cabernet sauvignon/shiraz blend. 

Rouge Homme (literally Red Man in French) was sold in 1965 to Lindeman’s, which is now part of TWE. In recent years it has languished. 

Redman Wines was launched in 1966 by the family after the sale of Rouge Homme. 

Redman Wines co-owner and fourth-generaIon winemaker Dan Redman said he was delighted to have the label back in the family’s brand portfolio. 

“Rouge Homme has a special place in the heart of Coonawarra," he said. "Welcoming it back in the 60th year of Redman Wines is especially meaningful - a full-circle moment. 

"We’re often asked about the connection of Rouge Homme with Redman, with many wine drinkers enjoying the wines that were made in the 50s and 60s. The label is synonymous with the Redman family and we’re proud to take it into the future.”

Treasury Wine Estates senior viticulturist Ben Harris said: “We’re proud to have been the custodians of Rouge Homme and are delighted that it’s been acquired by the Redman family. 

"With storied brands, unmistakable terroir and exceptional wines, global interest in the Coonawarra region continues to grow, and we look forward to following the next chapter of the Rouge Homme story.”

No financial details were disclosed. 

Rouge Homme was officially handed over at a lunch at the historic Wynns Coonawarra Estate. 

Redman Wines intends to make a small premium release of Rouge Homme in keeping with its award-winning history. 

The sale of Rouge Homme back to Redman Wines includes a small quantity of back-vintage wine.


New Sebel set to elevate Parramatta hotel offering


It is not so long ago that Parramatta was regarded as "somewhere out west" by city-centric Sydneysiders.

Now Parramatta is regarded as a business and cultural centre, more so with The Sebel Sydney Parramatta set to open in one of Sydney's fastest- growing locations.

The Sebel Sydney Parramatta is scheduled to begin operations in August. 

Developed by Nirskam Group and to be managed by Accor, the new-build hotel will bring an extended-stay offering with 51 studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom suites, promoted as being "designed for both short and longer stays".

Backed by significant public and private investment, Parramatta is emerging as one of Australia's most important growth centres, with a local economy valued at approximately $28.86 billion, making it the second-largest economy in New South Wales.

This momentum is being fuelled by landmark developments including Parramatta Square, the Powerhouse Parramatta museum project, the redevelopment of Riverside Theatres, and strengthening of transport connections across Greater Sydney.

With the opening of Western Sydney International Airport expected next year, Parramatta is increasingly positioned as a key gateway for business, culture, events and entertainment in the region.

Room as The Sebel will feature high-speed wifi, and in-room casting technology, while self-check-in kiosks will be available. Guest offerings will include in-room dining, a 24-hour fitness centre, communal spaces designed for both work and relaxation, and on-site parking.

There will be an all-day dining restaurant centred on Italian cuisine, as well as a rooftop bar and terrace.

“The Sebel Sydney Parramatta will offer a really attractive extended-stay experience to a destination that is entering an exciting new chapter,” said Adrian Williams, Chief Operating Officer of Accor in the Pacific region.

“Parramatta is evolving rapidly as a centre for business, culture and visitation, and this hotel is well placed to meet growing demand for high-quality accommodation that offers the comforts of home.”

Opening rates will start from $269 per night, with bookings now available at ALL.com.

New wine label for Kooyong/Port Phillip Estate



The Gjergja family has added a new label to its Port Phillip Estate, Kooyong and Quartier collection. 

The family purchased the Bellvale vineyard in Berrys Creek, South Gippsland, in early 2025 and is releasing the 2025 vintage releases.

Approximately 120 kilometres east of the winery on the Mornington Peninsula, this area of South Gippsland has potential for producing some of Australia’s finest pinot noir and chardonnay, the family believes. 

"We are honoured to become the custodians of this remarkable cool-climate site," managing director Marco Gjergja announced after the purchase from John and Athena Ellis. 

The 19-hecatare vineyard is located in the Tarwin River Valley and its north-facing, dry-grown, high-density vineyard lies at 165-195 metres above sea level on deep red loam of volcanic origin.

"Building on the strong foundations laid by John [Ellis] over the last 27 years, we look forward to progressing Bellvale’s legacy, propelling it into the future, and producing compelling pinot noir, chardonnay and pinot gris," the Gjergja family says. 

The Ellis family will retain the 2024 vintage wines with the new 2025 vintage wines released now for an RRP of $32-39. All are made by Tim Perrin

They are distributed by Negociants. The pinot gris is underwhelming. The chardonnay very good. The pinot noir the star.